10 Days of Wildlife

Some of my favorite pictures from the last 10 days:


Southern white rhino at Ol Pejeta Conservancy.

Baby elephant twins (which is very rare for elephants) at Aberdare National Park.

Me with Baraka, who is a blind black rhino and a proclaimed "rhino ambassador".

Picture taken by my friend, Ben: Maned rat at Trout Tree Restaurant. Possibly my favorite animal that I've seen so far in Kenya, the maned rat is the only mammal known to store toxins as a self-defense mechanism. Its hairs are made up of a "honeycomb" structure, and it fills the hairs with toxins from the poison arrow tree (Acokanthera schimperi) as a defense mechanism. Unsure whether it would even be possible, Ben, Tullio and I went out at 2 am. to try and find the rat - we ended up finding three.

Hyrax that had snuck inside the hood of the car and was driven all the way to Mount Kenya. 

An aardvark seen on the Mpala airstrip during a night drive with Ben and Tullio (picture taken by Ben).

Pair of Meyer's Parrots.

Lion cub at Ol Pejeta Conservancy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrival at Mpala

... It Begins!

My First Day Off - Hiking Mount Kenya!